The Bruins have dealt with pressure in a variety of different manners in this most recent era.
In 2010 they were seen as world-class choke artists, blowing a 3-0 series lead as well as a 3-0 advantage in a Game 7 to the Flyers. A year later, they were seen as the epitome of clutch, winning an unprecedented three Game 7s in one postseason. In 2012, it was sad-face-city again as the B’s fell at home in a Game 7 to the Capitals. Despite not bringing home the Cup last year, the Bruins’ postseason run was seen as a grand success as they came back to beat the Leafs and quickly dispatched of the Rangers and Penguins.
In sum, betting on or against the Bruins, in this era, in the postseason is the ultimate crapshoot. A Stanley Cup win is absolutely possible. As is a first round exit. Vegas is on board with the former. The B’s are 3/1 favorites to win the Cup this spring, which is the best odds of any team in the 16-team field.
- Photos: Women's March In New York City30 Pictures
- PHOTOS: 16 Betty White quotes to brighten your day17 Pictures
“Anything can happen. It’s a new set of butterflies every year,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told ESPN about the chances of bringing the Cup back to Boston this spring. “Doesn’t matter whether you’re the favorites or underdogs."
Win Lord Stanley’s money
Here are updated odds, via Bovada, for the 2014 Stanley Cup winner.
• The Bruins have 3/1 odds to take home the title.
• The Penguins and Blues have 7/1 odds to win it all this June.
• The defending champion Blackhawks have 8/1 odds, the Ducks and Sharks are at 9/1 and the Kings are at 10/1.
• The Avalanche are at 14/1, the Canadiens are at 18/1 and the Rangers and Flyers are at 20/1.
• The Avalanche are at 14/1, the Canadiens are at 18/1 and the Rangers and Flyers are at 20/1. The Red Wings have 22/1 odds.
• The most probable Stanley Cup Final matchup is the Blues vs. the Bruins at 8/1. A rematch of last year’s Stanley Cup Final between the Blackhawks and B’s is at 17/2.
The schedule for the Bruins-Red Wings first round Stanley Cup playoffs series:
Game 1: Friday, April 18 at Boston (7:30 p.m., NESN)
Game 2: Sunday, April 20 at Boston (3 p.m., NBC)
Game 3: Tuesday, April 22 at Detroit (7:30 p.m., NESN)
Game 4: Thursday, April 24 at Detroit (8 p.m., NESN)
Game 5: Saturday, April 26 at Boston (3 p.m., NBC)*
Game 6: Monday, April 28 at Detroit (TBD, NESN)*
Game 7: Wednesday, April 30 at Boston (TBD, NESN)*