Atlanta United made a blockbuster trade on Wednesday, the ambitious MLS club making a deal with the Portland Timbers for Darlington Nagbe. The United States international now goes to a team that clearly has their sites set on MLS Cup.
The deal for Nagbe involves the Eastern Conference side sending a total of $750,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) in 2019, $300,000 in Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) and a 2018 international roster spot. But wait, there’s more!
What makes the deal really intriguing for both parties is the incentives laden into the transfer. Per a league source, Atlanta will pay Portland even more in allocation if Nagbe hits certain performance clauses, clauses that may be difficult for the midfielder to hit:
- Photos: Women's March In New York City30 Pictures
- PHOTOS: 16 Betty White quotes to brighten your day17 Pictures
- $150,000 TAM - Darlington Nagbe wins league MVP
- $100,000 TAM - Darlington Nagbe scores 12 goals or more
- $100,000 TAM - Darlington Nagbe has 15 or more assists
- $250,000 TAM - Darlington is top 3 in MLS points and Atlanta win MLS Cup
In their first year in MLS, Atlanta not only shattered a bevy of attendance records but made the playoffs.