Ah, the playoffs. It doesn’t get any better than this for the people of Toronto. As you know, it’s been a while, so the buzz that goes with playoff hockey in the city seems amplified this year.
It's even more exciting given the fact the Bruins seem like pretty easy pickings for the Leafs right now. Talk about a team backing into the playoffs! They couldn't even beat the Ottawa Senators.
Sure, the Bruins have owned the Leafs over the past few seasons, and, yes, the last time Toronto beat Boston in the playoffs was more than half a century ago. But this year is different, and here’s why.
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures
1) GOALTENDING: James Reimer has been lights out awesome this season. Playing with a maturity well beyond his age or experience, there’s no reason to believe he can’t carry the Leafs through the first round and beyond.
2) PHIL KESSEL: Can you imagine the talented Ex-Bruin potting the winning goal in overtime to send Toronto into the next round? Seguin who?
3) POWER OF PRAYER: You have your cup, Boston. Now it’s time for our prayers to be answered. We’ve waited long enough, and Leafs fans want this really bad.
Toronto may have never played a playoff game since the invention of HD television, but beating the Bruins sure will look good in high-definition this year.
- Mike Speers
Associate Managing Editor, News and Business