It wasn't a good week for a couple of fantasy's top running backs.
First, Adrian Peterson went down with a sprained ankle and did not return. X-rays came back negative, but a Monday MRI will determine the real timeline here. Peterson has played through ankle sprains before, but the Vikings are 2-8 this time. Don't be surprised if Toby Gerhart gets a start or two as a weak flex play in fantasy.
Meanwhile, Fred Jackson sustained some kind of calf injury and barely played in the second half today. It looks like just a bruise, but any lower-leg injuries are a concern for running backs. C.J. Spiller is F-Jax's backup, but he's a poor between-tackles runner. Spiller will really just be an option in PPR leagues.
Let's get to the rest of the fallout:
* Kevin Smith was no joke today. He's the new feature back in Detroit, largely because his pass-catching ability fits the Lions' scheme. But before we go overboard, let's remember this was the Panthers. Speaking of which...
* Chris Johnson went back in the tank today. Perhaps last week's breakout was a mirage aided by the Panthers' horrific defense. Or maybe the Falcons' top-3 run defense really is that good. I'll land somewhere in between. Johnson still has three plus matchups in the next five weeks. And yeah, CJ2K's tank doesn't bode that well for Smith.
* Mike Shanahan can't pick a running back, so he went with all three today. Ryan Torain started, but got the least touches. Tashard Choice got a few series to himself in his Redskins debut. Roy Helu played on passing downs. Avoid until an injury hits one of them.
* DeMarco Murray isn't going anywhere as the workhorse in Dallas. 31 touches today even though Felix Jones returned.
* Yeah, Matthew Stafford's finger is just fine thank you. Five touchdowns today.
* Brandon Lloyd is set up for a monster end to the season, as we've discussed. Perfect system, elite talent, dome.
* I wouldn't worry too much about Brandon Marshall's tough day. He had a TD reversed on replay and wasn't really needed in the blowout. Matt Moore is playing too well for Marshall not to get off.
* Stevie Johnson and Ryan Fitzpatrick are in the tank, just like last year. Color me unsurprised.
* Jordy Nelson is so athletic and talented. People just don't realize it because he's white. Sad.
* Frank Gore's ankle/knee issues turned out to be no issue at all. He racked up 24 carries in the first three quarters while Kendall Hunter only got three.
* Jay Cutler may be done for the season after breaking his thumb. Earl Bennett has no shot at WR3 value with Caleb Hanie under center.