LONDON (Reuters) - Ferrari reserve driver Antonio Giovinazzi will replace Sauber's injured German Pascal Wehrlein at the first pre-season test in Barcelona next week, the Swiss-based Formula One team said on Friday.
"We took the decision that Pascal will not be driving in the first test in Barcelona," Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said in a statement.
"We will monitor his medical progress and will then decide on the next steps."
- There's fanfic at The Met and it's all because of the Tale of Genji21 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures
Wehrlein had told his Twitter followers last week that he would not be testing due to a back injury sustained at the Race of Champions in Miami in January. Sauber had not named a replacement until Friday, however.
Wehrlein, who has joined Sauber from now-defunct Manor, will still attend the test at the Circuit de Catalunya to familiarize himself with the team and procedures.
(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ed Osmond)