BERLIN (Reuters) - Striker Anthony Modeste struck twice in the first half to lead Cologne 3-0 past promoted Freiburg on Friday and send them provisionally to the top of the Bundesliga table with seven points from three matches.
The Frenchman headed the hosts into the lead in the 29th minute and Leonardo Bittenourt added a second goal two minutes later.
The 28-year-old Modeste, who took his season tally to three goals, then grabbed his second of the evening two minutes before the break as Cologne cruised to their second win in three Bundesliga matches this season, climbing a point above champions Bayern Munich.
Cologne, top of the Bundesliga for the first time since 1996, have yet to concede a goal in the league this season but the Bavarians can reclaim top spot with victory over Ingolstadt on Saturday.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann, editing by Pritha Sarkar)