Just like any struggling franchise, the light at the end of the tunnel that is a bad season comes in the form of a high draft pick and the chance to pick up an All-Pro talent.
While no one expected the New York Giants to be in this position after 10 weeks of the 2017 NFL season, here they are while embodying the definition of dysfunctional.
An embarrassing loss to a previously winless San Francisco 49ers squad — who are now 1-9 — dropped the Giants to 1-8 on the season as things seem to descend from bad to worse with each passing week.
While the result made Giants fans run to the pantry for brown paper bags to put over their heads, it ensured the team remains in the mix for the first-overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.
Somehow, there are some franchises who are just as, if not more inept than the Giants. So the race to tank is going to be a closely contested one between New York, the Niners and the Cleveland Browns.
Here is what the current top-10 draft order looks like after Sunday's games. For teams with the same amount of losses, their strength of schedule works as the tiebreaker. A team with an easier schedule is awarded the higher pick if tied at the end of the year:
2018 NFL Draft order
1. Cleveland Browns: 0-9, 0.500 Strength of Schedule (SoS)
2. San Francisco 49ers: 1-9, 0.5448 SoS
3. NEW YORK GIANTS: 1-8, 0.5241 SoS
4. Indianapolis Colts: 3-7, 0.4828 SoS
5. Cincinnati Bengals: 3-6, 0.4690 SoS
6. Denver Broncos: 3-6, 0.4828 SoS
7. Los Angeles Chargers: 3-6, 0.4861 SoS
8. Houston Texans: 3-6, 0.5102 SoS
9. Chicago Bears: 3-6, 0.5379 SoS
10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 3-6, 0.5625 SoS
The New York Jets are slated for the 11th pick with a 4-6 record.