HANOVER, N.J. – The New York Red Bulls remain committed to pursuing more options as the summer transfer window continues to wind down, this as the team has already added two significant pieces to the roster over the past couple of weeks.
Despite signing defender Fidel Escobar and winger Muhamed Keita, the Red Bulls are still eyeing up possible other additions to the club. Whether these are depth signings or there remains the chance to add a significant player to the roster, it seems that the team remains dialed in on possible pieces for the stretch run of the MLS season.
- PHOTOS: Massachusetts residents make first retail marijuana purchases 12 Pictures
- Prepare for GoT season 8 with this Game of Thrones whisky 8 Pictures
The summer transfer window whereby teams can add players from outside the league ends Aug. 9.
“Listen we are always going err on bringing in younger talent and integrate them on how we’re going to do things," said head coach Jesse Marsch. “We’re still looking within the league and outside the league and making additions.”
To that end, trialist Dilly Duka remains in camp. The 27-year old midfielder, recently released by the Columbus Crew, is an intriguing possibility to end up with the squad.
Red Bulls Notes
- Midfielder Danny Royer was named Alcatel MLS Player of the Month. The Austrian had six goals and an assist in July for the Red Bulls and has earned attention for his backflip celebration following goals.
“I told the team but I haven’t told him yet but he’s banned from back flips. We can’t have a guy getting hurt on back flips,” Marsch said with a laugh. “I’d like to continue having that discussion and debate with him. If he keeps scoring goals we’ll find a way to create new celebrations for him.”
- Centerback Aurelein Collin and outside back Connor Lade both took to the field on Friday but the injured defenders may not be a go in time for this Sunday’s match at New York City F.C.
“They’re right around the corner. If it’s not this game it’s soon,” Marsch said.
- The aforementioned Keita will rejoin the team this afternoon as he was in the process of getting his visa.