If only Brandon Jacobs ran as angry and with as much purpose as he throws helmets into the stands, he wouldn’t be in this present quandary.
One day after the Giants (1-1) were humiliated in the nationally-televised “Manning Bowl II,” the hot-button topic wasn’t about how badly they were outplayed but about Jacobs’ errant helmet toss and his alleged trade requests.
“As far as I know, there has been no request for any trade,” coach Tom Coughlin said yesterday. “That one was a surprise for me.”
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
The disgruntled running back, though, will meet with general manager Jerry Reese today, according to reports. The center of this brewing storm is Jacobs’ demotion to the bench during late preseason, as good friend Ahmad Bradshaw took the reigns.
Jacobs, who was once the lead back, hasn’t handled it well. And he’s obviously been frustrated his lackluster performance this season has justified his benching. Jacobs gained only eight yards on four carries Sunday, while Bradshaw racked up 89 yards.
Backup Danny Ware nearly doubled Jacobs’ production in half as many carries.
“His role has been defined,” Coughlin said of his back-by-committee strategy. “I’m not sure why that keeps coming up. ... There has been no request to come and talk to me about anything.”