What went right ...
1. Big break — After marching down the field on their first drive and having their way with the Jets’ defense, Stephen Gostkowski nailed a 32-yard field goal. A delay of game penalty, though, took the points off the board and forced another try. The Pats’ kicker pushed this one wide right. The penalty was a precursor for what was a sloppy effort all afternoon long by New England.
2. Sanchez takes flight — After Wes Welker’s touchdown put New England up 7-0 early in the second quarter, the Jets responded with a 12-play, 77-yard drive that ended with a Braylon Edwards’ touchdown. The passing game finally emerged for the first time since the preseason opener against the Giants, as the Jets scored their first touchdown of the season. The Jets quarterback took what the New England defense offered him and carved up the Patriots’ secondary as they really keyed in on spreading the ball around. “Today can be attributed to focus,” Dustin Keller said. The Jets didn’t have a single turnover in the game.
3. Tomlinson dominates — LaDainian Tomlinson stretched the defense, opening up the middle for Shonn Greene. His 31-yard scamper set up the go-ahead score.
What went wrong ...1. Behind early — The Patriots got a fresh set of downs on their first scoring drive because of Eric Smith’s helmet-to-helmet hit on Wes Welker, who needed help getting off the field. The scoring play? A 6-yard touchdown pass to Welker, capping a 15-play, 75 yard drive. Welker, though, was barely heard from again in the game. Last season’s NFL?leader in receptions finished with six — he had nine in their last matchup.
2. Beat deep — Randy Moss ran an inside route, blowing by Darrelle Revis and latching onto a 34-yard pass from Tom Brady for a one-handed touchdown catch to put the Pats up 14-7 late in the first half. It was the only big hook-up, as two more long attempts were picked in the second half.
3. Revis takes a seat — Revis sat out the second half with a hamstring injury. He seemed slow and lethargic much of the first half and was burned by Moss on at least two other pass plays that went for incompletions.