The Titans came out and stated on Monday that Chris Johnson was still their starter. The mere fact that they had to do that tells you how dire the situation has become for CJ2K.
The bottom line is that right now, backup Javon Ringer is a better player. Johnson looks like he doesn't care, is just going through the motions, has no burst and really isn't trying very hard. So the only fair thing for the Titans to do is roll with the hot hand on a game-to-game basis. That's what they said they'll do -- and right now, Ringer projects as the back more likely to get the hot hand.
In the fourth quarter of Sunday's win over the Colts, Ringer played 17 snaps and Johnson played 2. The disparity won't be that severe every week, but Ringer is looking at a minimum of 10-14 touches per game now.
Other pickups of the week:
1. Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Chiefs: The kid has freakish size, speed and leaping ability. While he's not yet an every-down player, he figures to pass Steve Breaston to be the primary receiver opposite Dwayne Bowe in two-wide sets shortly. Baldwin's week-to-week consistency won't be there, but he'll have some big games.
2. Brent Celek, TE, Eagles: The Eagles suddenly remembered that Celek can do more than block. With defenses putting their safeties way up top out of fear for the Eagles' speed, Celek is wide open in the middle.
3. Roy Helu, RB, Redskins: His time is still coming. He's playing the majority of the snaps and his blitz pickup skills are coming around.
4. Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Steelers: We recommended Sanders and Brown previously, but only Brown got picked up in the majority of leagues. Sanders may not be worth a start this week with Hines Ward (ankle) back and a knee injury to worry about, but he's a quality long-term stash.
5. Chris Ogbonnaya, RB, Browns: This one is for the desperate owners. Ogbonnaya isn't very good, but Montario Hardesty (calf) and Peyton Hillis (hamstring) are both hurt.
6. Sam Bradford, QB, Rams: He's out of his walking boot, has Brandon Lloyd and still has Josh McDaniels. Oh, and the Rams play the Cardinals this week. Nice option for Matthew Stafford owners looking to avoid the bye week blues.