To celebrate his visit to Canada, Giorgio Milos, master barista for Trieste, Italy-based Illycaffe, has created three espresso-based beverages using maple syrup.
These are designed to make in espresso makers in home kitchens.
Maple Leaf Caffe Latte
- Prepare 30 ml (1 oz) espresso and pour into serving glass.
- Pour 125 ml (4 oz) fresh cold milk in a steaming pitcher; steam the milk. Do not create froth.
- Pour warm milk over the espresso in the serving glass.
- Combine 60 ml (2 oz) heavy cream and 20 ml (2/3 oz) pure maple syrup in the mixer cup or in a small pitcher.
- Mix on low for no more than 5 seconds or whip gently by hand with whisk for 15 seconds.
- Gently pour the maple cream onto the latte, floating it on top.
- Garnish with a pinch of cinnamon.
- Makes 1 180 ml (6 oz) serving.
Spiced Maple Drop
- Put 15 ml (1/2 oz) pure maple syrup in the bottom of the glass. Prepare 30 ml (1 oz) espresso directly into the glass over the syrup.
- While coffee is brewing, steam and froth 120 ml (4 oz) fresh cold milk. Dust top of espresso with a pinch of cinnamon. Quickly pour frothed/steamed milk onto the espresso.
- Serve with a spoon and stir before consuming.
- Makes 70 ml (2.5 oz) serving.
Maple Caffe Cocktail
- Fill cocktail shaker ½ with ice (375 ml or 12 oz measure). Add 30 ml (1 oz) espresso. Add 60 ml (2 oz) bourbon and add 30 ml (1 oz) pure maple syrup.
- Add 2 ml (½ tsp) lemon juice.
- Shake vigorously several times in a back and forth motion. Pour into cocktail glass straining the ice.
- Makes 170 ml (5 oz) cocktail.
Source: illy caffe