If you’re a song-and-dance lover, but can’t afford tickets to the big shows of the summer, you can still enjoy musical numbers for free from Broadway’s biggest stars.
The seventeenth annual Broadway in Bryant Park brings live performances of showtunes that you can watch on your lunch break. Now you have no excuse not to ditch that sad desk salad, at least one day of the week. (Plus, you can find tasty options via the parks' food kiosks, like Wafels & Dinges and Le Pain Quotidien.)
iHeartMedia’s free concert series will take place on six consecutive Thursdays, beginning Thursday, July 6, through August 10. (Attn. musical theatre nerds: You can spend...Thursdays in the Park with George!)
Pack a lunch and grab a spot on the lawn, while cast members from productions like “Waitress,” “Beautiful: The Carole King musical,” and “Kinky Boots” serenade you with showstoppers. (OK, so not "Hamilton," but still pretty great.) All performances are on the Bryant Park Stage (that’s at 6th Ave. between 40 and 40 St.) from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
Each day is hosted by a different 106.7 LITE FM radio personality, and includes performances of songs from at least three different musicals. Select days include a pre-show act, such as the Aruba Carnival Dancers on July 13, or comedian Brooke Shapiro on August 10.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
- PHOTOS: The best cosplay of NYCC 2018, Day 3 44 Pictures
- A look back at Heidi Klum's best Halloween costumes 19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Nightmare Machine, the haunted house for millennials 14 Pictures
- American Music Awards 2018: Red carpet looks, list of winners 23 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Are Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian getting back together? 8 Pictures
- Anne Frank's Diary now comes as a graphic novel 3 Pictures
- Reimagine End of Life celebrates all things death and dying 5 Pictures
- 2018 Emmy Awards: List of winners, red carpet looks 29 Pictures
Beyond singing along to your favorite musical numbers, the concerts are also a good way to get a sneak preview of shows you might be less familiar with. Don't forget to check out Bryant Park's free summer movie lineup as well.
Here’s the full Broadway in Bryant Park lineup for 2017:
Thursday, July 6
The Phantom of the Opera
Thursday, July 1
Beautiful: The Carole King Musical
School of Rock
Pre-show: Aruba Carnival Dancers
Thursday, July 20
Thursday, July 27
A Bronx Tale
Thursday, August 3
The Great Comet
Thursday, August 10
Come From Away
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Find more info here.