If you didn’t know Blue Monday was a thing — don’t worry, we didn’t either. Apparently, it’s calculated as the most depressing day of the year dependent upon factors like weather, debt, time since Christmas and low motivation levels. For 2018, it’s been calculated as Jan. 15 but lucky for us, we’ve come up with a few ways for you to beat those Blue Monday blues or just the winter blues in general.
1. Start the day off with some yoga.
Don’t let stress keep you from finding your center. Before you jump into a busy work week, wake up a little earlier and do some yoga. Most Philly studios have early bird classes like Yoga Garden’s Sunrise Vinyasa at 7 a.m. Have a super early start to the day? Hot Yoga Philadelphia has a 90-minute class that begins at 6 a.m., so you’ll have plenty of time to get showered and even grab a green juice before rushing off to work.
2. Treat yourself to a nice lunch.
Whatever you do, don’t eat lunch at your desk — especially if you’re feeling blue. Take the time for a change of scenery and some social engagement with work colleagues outside of the office. Center City Restaurant Week kicks off on Sunday, Jan. 14 and features three-course, $20 lunches at restaurants like a.kitchen, Buddakan, Davio’s, aMuse and Veda.
3. Go for a walk.
Sometimes you need to clear your mind and going for a walk is a great way to do it, especially considering we live in one of the most walkable cities in the United States. Take a stroll through one of Philly’s many parks, like Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square or even along the Schuylkill for a breath of fresh air.
4. See a musical.
Nothing uplifts the spirit like a musical and the longest running show of all time is playing now through Jan. 21 at the Academy of Music — “Les Miserables.” Be swept away by gorgeous music and knowing that no matter what you’re going through, life in 19th-century France was pretty rough compared to today.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures