Quantcast
Third Ebola case confirmed in northwest Congo, WHO says – Metro US

Third Ebola case confirmed in northwest Congo, WHO says

FILE PHOTO: A logo is pictured at the WHO building
FILE PHOTO: A logo is pictured at the WHO building in Geneva

DAKAR (Reuters) -Health authorities have confirmed a third Ebola case in the city of Mbandaka in northwest Democratic Republic of Congo, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday.

The 48-year-old man is a high-risk contact of the first patient, who died on April 21, said the WHO on Twitter.

The current outbreak is Congo’s 14th in the history of the hemorrhagic fever.

Health workers started Ebola vaccinations last week in Mbandaka, the capital of Congo’s Equateur province.

Responders have identified 444 contacts of the confirmed cases and are monitoring their health, the WHO said.

(Reporting by Nellie Peyton; Editing by Toby Chopra)

More from our Sister Sites