Quantcast
Trump, PGA reach settlement over golf club snub that followed U.S. Capitol siege - Metro US

Trump, PGA reach settlement over golf club snub that followed U.S. Capitol siege

The entrance to Trump Tower on 5th Avenue is pictured in the Manhattan borough of New York City

(This Dec 28 story corrects description of police officer’s death in sixth paragraph to say he died of natural causes, not injuries sustained defending U.S. Capitol)

(Reuters) – Former U.S. President Donald Trump has resolved a dispute with the PGA of America over the golf association’s decision earlier this year to pull a major professional tournament from a Trump-owned golf course, the PGA of America said.

In a press release, the PGA said it had reached a confidential settlement with the Trump Organization that resolves legal claims stemming from its decision in the wake of the storming of the U.S. Capitol to shun Trump’s golf course in Bedminster, New Jersey.

“While the terms of the settlement will remain confidential, representatives from both the PGA and the Trump Organization expressed satisfaction with the agreement,” the press release stated.

The PGA of America said on Jan. 10 it was stripping Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey, of the 2022 PGA Championship, one of four prestigious majors on the annual golf calendar, following a vote by its board of directors.

“It has become clear that conducting the PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster would be detrimental to the PGA of America brand,” PGA of America President Jim Richerson said in a video announcing the decision.

More than 100 police officers were injured during the multi-hour onslaught by Trump supporters, and four officers have since taken their own lives.

    A Capitol Police officer, Brian Sicknick, suffered strokes and died of natural causes one day after responding to the attack, the District of Columbia’s chief medical examiner determined in April.

More than 700 people have been arrested in connection with the assault on the Capitol.

The PGA press release did not say whether Trump golf courses will host future PGA tournaments.

“We look forward to continuing to support the mission of the PGA and its Professionals, who are the best in the golf industry,” Eric Trump, a son of the former president and a Trump Organization executive, said in a statement included as part of the press release.

(Reporting by Jan Wolfe in Boston; Editing by Nick Macfie)

More from our Sister Sites