• 3 tsp (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 onion, minced
• 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) crushed tomatoes
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
• Pinch sugar
• 2 thick pizza crusts
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
• 1 can (6 oz/170 g) water-packed tuna, drained and flaked into chunks
• 4 tsp (20 mL) capers, rinsed
• 8 pitted black olives, sliced
• Salt and fresh-ground black pepper
• Fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 425°F (220ºC). Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) oil in small pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, oregano, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and leave to simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Put pizza crusts on 2 baking sheets. Spread 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste over each crust. Spoon tomato sauce over pizzas, then add tuna. Sprinkle with capers and olives. Drizzle remaining 2 tsp (10 mL) of olive oil over tops.
3. Bake pizzas until crusts are crisp and golden, 10 minutes, or following package directions. Sprinkle with torn basil leaves and serve at once.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca