UPDATE: Boston man charged with making false bomb threats on the Orange Line - Metro US

UPDATE: Boston man charged with making false bomb threats on the Orange Line

The security footage of Johnson stepping off of the train Wednesday morning.
MBTA Police

UPDATED: MBTA Police responded to a report of a man wearing a Guy Fawkes’ mask at Back Bay Station making bomb threats as the Orange Line traveled between Downtown Crossing and Tufts Medical Center.

The initial search for the suspect came up empty, but the witness who called in the report was able to pick the man out from the T’s security footage. Officers kept looking for the suspect and located him outside of the Tufts Medical Center Station on Washington Street.

Joseph Johnson, 30, of Boston was charged with making a false bomb threat. Authorities say at no time was the public in any danger.

“We take incidents such as these with the utmost urgency and seriousness. Our number one priority is the safety and security of our patrons and employees,” Lt. Richard Sullivan said in a statement. “We will work with the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office to ensure Johnson is held accountable for his actions. A clear message must be sent; behavior and statements such as exhibited by Johnson will not and cannot be tolerated on the MBTA. We apologize to anyone who may have been inconvenienced by this mornings incident.”

The Orange Line experienced severe delays as a result of the police response and search for Johnson.


UPATED: The MBTA Police tweeted that the man in question is in custody and that the public is in no danger. They will issue an official statement on Wednesday afternoon.


The Orange Line experienced severe delays after a man caused a fuss by muttering about blowing up the train.

At around 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, police responded to a report of a man who muttered something about blowing up the Orange Line train he was riding on.

RELATED:Boston’s Operation LIPSTICK takes aim at protecting women from predatory gun purchases

Service to Forest Hills was severely impacted from Back Bay Station. The train sat in Back Bay Station for about 20 minutes.

The suspect is on the loose.

More from our Sister Sites