They may be the Jets, but they’ll be dressed in navy.
The NHL’s Winnipeg Jets have unveiled their uniform which features two shades of blue.
The home jersey is navy blue — officially “polar night blue” — with striping in white and lighter blue.
The away jersey is white with the two shades of blue as striping.
Both blue colours have links to the air force — the lighter shade
matches the historical colours of the Royal Canadian Air Force and the
darker comes from the paint used on many of the military’s current
Both home and away sweaters feature the team’s new circular logo on the chest.
Reaction in Winnipeg was mixed, as it was when the logo was released.
Most of the complaints centered around the horizontal light blue
Some also complained about the way the jerseys were presented — four
Winnipeg Jets players walked out of a CC-130 Hercules military aircraft
to present the jerseys to the crowd of media.
Jerseys will be up for sale in October, but fans were able to pre-order
the jerseys at winnipegjets.com for $129 for replica jerseys and $299
for authentic jerseys.
What the rest of Canada had to say about the uniforms:
- @downtownpaul (Halifax): New Jets uniforms surpass extremely low
style bar set by the old Jets and Thrashers uniforms, so there’s
- @davidc83 (Toronto): It’s very, um, ‘Regal’. And by regal I mean #Lame. #WinnipegJets
- @brightwhite (Halifax): The jersey/colours are fine. The logo is pure unadulterated crap.
- @StephaniePelley (London): Simple, classic, respectable. Then they shag it up w/ Nickelback playing opener
- @hillsarah (Halifax): I like the colors but the maple leaf looks
wonky to me… sort of dagger-esque. Perhaps they’re making Winnipeg
- @daytonenglish (Calgary): They are decent; not the slickest
jerseys in the league but a mediocre effort and improvement on the
classic jersey. #nhl
- @sebbo_figgy: I like it! Simple yet Canadian!