Perhaps you’re one of the people who completely lost their chill when House of Cards actor Kevin Spacey sort of announced he is a pedophile/sex predator and a gay man, as if the two are somehow related and tried to blame it on the alcohol, as the song goes. (Still trying to wrap my brain around that one, Kev, but I think you broke me.) Netflix lost its chill, too, and is cutting ties with the star and executive producer of the Netflix original.
This isn’t a coming out story about Spacey, but a story of survivorship by Anthony Rapp & those who speak out about unwanted sexual advances
— Sarah Kate Ellis (@sarahkateellis) October 30, 2017
House of Cards falls after allegations against actor Kevin Spacey.
The streaming company has also halted Gore, a film in post-production starring and produced by Spacey.
“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of ‘House of Cards’ that includes Kevin Spacey,” a Netflix spokesperson told us. “We will continue to work with MRC [Media Rights Capital] during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film ‘Gore,’ which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”
MRC said in a statement, ABC7 reported: “While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of ‘House of Cards,’ he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”
Netflix, one of the studios behind House of Cards, suspended sixth season production after actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of unwanted sexual advances when Rapp was 14.
Spacey gave an I-don’t-remember-that apology adding he is sorry about “what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.”
— Kevin Spacey (@KevinSpacey) October 30, 2017
According to ABC, a representative from Netflix confirmed that the decision to end House of Cards with season 6 was made before the allegations against Spacey were public.
Netflix says it just found out about a complaint made against Kevin Spacey five years ago.
MRC and Netflix told ABC that they were made aware of a complaint against the man playing Frank Underwood five years ago. MRC said someone complained about “a specific remark and gesture made by Kevin Spacey,” but Spacey “willingly participated in a training process” and the issue was considered resolved.
MRC added that no other complaints against the actor were made, ABC7 reported.
“When the allegations broke about Kevin Spacey on Sunday night, in conjunction with MRC, we sent a representative to set on Monday morning. Netflix was just made aware of one incident, five years ago, that we were informed was resolved swiftly,” according to a statement released last week by Netflix. “On Tuesday, in collaboration with MRC, we suspended production, knowing that Kevin Spacey wasn’t scheduled to work until Wednesday. Netflix is not aware of any other incidents involving Kevin Spacey on-set.”
“We are deeply troubled to learn about these new allegations that are being made to the press concerning Kevin Spacey’s interaction with members of the crew of ‘House of Cards.’ As the producer of the show, creating and maintaining a safe working environment for our cast and crew has always been our top priority,” MRC added in their own statement. “We have consistently reinforced the importance of employees reporting any incident without fear of retaliation and we have investigated and taken appropriate actions following any complaints.”