Woman suffers burns in fire

An overturned candle is suspected to be the cause of a fire at a downtown Ottawa housing unit early yesterday morning that injured a city woman.
A 45-year-old woman suffered burns to her hands and face after a fire broke out in her six-storey apartment building at 430 Wiggins Private.
The Ottawa fire department responded to the fire at Unit 312 at 1:31 a.m. with 14 trucks and 35 firefighters, said District Chief Jim Corrigan. The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes and firefighters were able to contain it to the bedroom, where the fire began.
“We got the fire out pretty quickly,” said Corrigan.
A woman who lives in the unit was already outside the building by the time firefighters arrived. She was transported to Ottawa General Hospital, to be treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns to her face and hands, Corrigan said.
Although the building was evacuated at the time of the fire, most residents have since returned, with the exception of the tenant of the damaged apartment and the apartments on either side.
Corrigan said damages are estimated at $75,000 to the building and $10,000 to the contents.
The fire is believed to have started after a candle in the bedroom fell over, said Ottawa Police Staff Sgt. Mark Meyers. No charges have been laid.


More from our Sister Sites