Apples are everywhere now! Bored of just crunching on them at your desk? QVC’s resident foodie and best-selling cookbook author, David Venable shares his favorite apple cider recipe below.
Homemade Apple Cider
David’s insider tip:“If you like apple cider with a lot of spiced flavor, just add more spices. If you like less spice, reduce the amount.”
- 8 Red Delicious apples, quartered, seeds and peels removed
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp nutmeg
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¾ tsp whole allspice
- 4 (1/4” slices) fresh whole ginger, peeled
- Place the apples in a large pot with 10 cups of water. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for two hours, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Use a potato masher to mash the apples, then stir the mixture into a strainer with a large spoon. Make sure you get all the juice!
- Set aside the applesauce you’ve now just made, and pour the cider into a glass bottle. Remove the cinnamon sticks and cloves from the applesauce and drop them into the bottle with the cider. Refrigerate.