Clay Health Club will cost you a pretty penny, but the digs are quite luxurious. Credit: Clay
With the new year comes the onslaught of weight-loss resolutions. If you're planning to keep yours this year, you're likely looking into a gym membership right now. But which one is a good fit for you? Take our quiz and find out.
1. How much are you willing to spend each month? A) Less than $20 a month. B) Around $75 would be reasonable. C) Spare no expense, baby — nice digs are a priority for me.
2. How would you rate your fitness level? A) I’m not really a big fitness head. I’m just joining a gym to keep active. B) I’m pretty active. I work out a few times a week and try to eat right. C) If I don’t spend some time in the gym each day, I go nuts.
3. What type of classes do you like? A) I don’t need 'em — I like doing my own thing on the elliptical or with weights. B) I need workouts to be fun in order for me to do them. I love classes with funny names or ones tied to pop culture. C) The more hardcore, the better. I’m looking to sweat, no matter how much it burns.
4. Do you plan to spend a lot of time in the locker room before or after your workout? A) Not really — I’ll likely stash my stuff and hit the floor. B) I’ll freshen up after class, so it’d be nice if they had clean showers and enough soap to go around. C) Locker rooms are part of the gym experience. I want rainwater showers and the best amenities.
5. What kinds of extras do you want in your membership? A) I’m not relying on anything to sweeten the deal, but a post-workout massage chair sounds pretty nice. B) Some stuff to make my experience all the better, like a sauna, steam room and babysitting options. C) The gym will be my second home, so I want a cafe and laundry services in addition to all the aforementioned.
Add up how many A's, B's and C's you got.
Mostly A’s A budget gym like Planet Fitness or Blink Fitness is right for you. Mostly B’s Your best bet is a mid-priced gym like Crunch or New York Sports Club. Mostly C’s Roll in the swank at a luxury gym like Equinox or Reebok Sports.