Parents around the city are worried their day care programs will be cut under the mayor's budget.
Hundreds of parents and children who attend after-school programs plan to protest the possible cuts at City Hall Park on Thursday.
The Campaign for Children says that 47,000 children would be cut from child care and after-school programs if the mayor's budget does not change.
The group estimates as many as 700 children will be at the Thursday rally.
Under Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal, about 75 percent of after-school spots will have been slashed during since 2008, the group said.
Children who attend such programs are more likely to graduate and do better in school, according to the group.
Students who attend after-school programs rallied outside the City Council earlier this month, saying the after-school spots are important for kids like them to stay safe and learn.
Mayoral spokesman Marc LaVorgna told Metro, "We will be working with the Council to ensure we keep the budget balanced while providing as much of the services needed as possible."