The 89th annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade will be held on Thursday and will shut down several New York City streets and draw thousands of onlookers.
Parade organizers suggest spectators arrive around 6 a.m., and recommend anywhere along Central Park West for the best view.
Here are some Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade tips:
Central Park South at Sixth Avenue: As the parade makes its way from Columbus Circle you can catch a great view from this area as it turns down 6th Avenue.
If you can't make it to Central Park West, the next best spot would be anywhere along 6th Avenue from 59th Street to 38th Street.
You may want to avoid the Upper Westside in and around Central Park West and Columbus Avenue beginning at 9:30 a.m. for the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon inflation.
Starting at 1 p.m. West 79th Street between Columbus Avenue and Amsterdam Avenue will be closed.
At 3 p.m. the following areas will be closed:
- West 76th Street between Columbus and Central Park West Avenues
- West 77th Street between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues
- West 78th Street between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues
- West 80th Street between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues
- West 81st Street between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues
Note: Avoid this area. Due to trucks and other large vehicles moving in and out of the area to move parade floats and other supplies, there will be several delays and additional closures in the area.