After months of speculation from gossip magazines and the media, Bruce Jenner has finally come out to Diane Sawyer as a transgender woman. Jenner opened up to Sawyer during a "20/20" special on ABC on Friday night.
Jenner, who chose to use the pronouns "him" and "he" for the interview, got emotional when Sawyer asked him, "Are you a woman?"
Jenner took out his long locks from his ponytail and said, "Let's take the damn ponytail out."
He continued: "For all intents and purposes, I am a woman. People look at me differently. They see me as this 'macho male.'"
Here's everything you need to know from his touching interview.
1. Jenner told Sawyer that he first tried cross dressing as a child, and he would do it secretly in hotels as an adult: “I’d literally go up into the hotel room, change [into women’s] clothes, and walk around,” Jenner said.
2. He has been on estrogen hormones for a year and a half, though he also took hormones for five years in the 1980s.
3. He's attracted to women. Jenner says he has only ever been attracted to women.
4. All of his ex-wives knew some aspects of his gender identity issues. For decades, only Jenner's ex-wives and sister knew that he was struggling with his gender identity. Recently, he cam out to his 10 children and stepchildren. His son Brandon told Sawyer of his dad's coming out, “I’m just honored and more proud than ever to be a part of the family,” Brandon said.
5. The kids will still call Bruce "Dad." But Bruce has not revealed what he has chosen as his female name. He did say that it will not start with a "K," surprisingly.