Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Workout mistakes

Here are some common mistakes people routinely make in the gym.


Here are some common mistakes people routinely make in the gym.

Talking while working out

>> Please stop the chatting! Your breathing should be somewhat laboured when using the cardio equipment and your muscles fatigued when lifting weights — leaving little energy for an in-depth conversation.

Training without purpose
>> It doesn’t matter if you are 16 or 60, have a fitness goal in mind, and train for it with intention and determination.

Avoiding training beyond your comfort level
>> Around 90 per cent of us do not train as hard as we should, and the remaining 10 per cent train too hard.

Doing the same old thing

>> If you are still doing the same workout you did this time last year, it is time to mix it up. Physiologically, it takes the body about eight to 12 weeks to adapt to a new stress, which is why it is important to continuously change up your routine.

Training only certain muscles
>> If you want a functional body you must train the right muscles. It is quite common for people to train only what they can see (for example, the fronts of the arms and shoulders or the legs).

Slouching
>> It is essential that you know how and are able to hold a neutral spine throughout any given exercise.

Breathing improperly
>> A good breathing pattern starts with an inhalation through the nose (while keeping your shoulders from lifting up toward your ears), filling the chest and then the belly. Exhale through your mouth, releasing all the air from the belly.

Not knowing when to stop
>> Unless you are intent on paying for your physiotherapist’s next Hawaiian vacation, ask yourself if the pain you are feeling is from muscle fatigue, or whether it could be something more.

Building up too quickly
>> Make sure your program is progressive and allows your body to slowly adapt. This is particularly important for the connective tissue. If a load is too great for the connective tissue around the joints to handle, you can cause injury.

Making exercise too much work

>> Exercising should not be complicated. It is simply a matter of putting on your favourite runners and getting out there. Don’t make it too complicated, too boring, or too much like work!


 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles