(The Sports Xchange) - San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick said on Tuesday that he has received death threats regarding his actions during the playing of the U.S. national anthem.

"If something like that were to happen, you've proved my point," Kaepernick told reporters, saying he had received the threats through several avenues. "It'll be loud and clear why it happened."

Kaepernick started his protest in the preseason by sitting down during the national anthem.

He has since kneeled during the anthem in protest of what he calls racial inequalities and injustices taking place in America, including police-related violence.

Several NFL players have joined Kaepernick in his protest.

Kaepernick also addressed the shooting of Terence Crutcher by police in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

"They shot and killed a man and walked around like it wasn't a human being," Kaepernick said.

Kaepernick intends to go through with his plan to donate $1 million to local communities. He said he will donate $100,000 a month for the next 10 months and will also set up a website so the public can see how the money is spent.

Former 49ers star Jerry Rice has changed his stance on Kaepernick.

After previously criticizing Kaepernick's actions, Rice came out in support of the quarterback on Tuesday.

"I support @Kaepernick7 for bringing awareness for injustice !!!!" Rice tweeted. "As Americans we all have rights! Im (sic) hoping we all come together#solution"

Initially, Rice had tweeted that Kaepernick should not disrespect the flag.

(Editing by Mark Lamport-Stokes)