It seems like there’s an app for everything now, and job hunting is no different. With unemployment holding steady at 8.1 percent, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job seekers are using any tool available to get ahead of the crowd. Plus, what’s easier than using your mobile device?
These days, you can use your phone to watch movies and set reminders — among with a host of other pretty snazzy and sophisticated tasks. As Zooey Deschanel proved, the iPhone’s Siri can tell if you it’s raining — even looking out the window is a thing of the past. So why not utilize all that technology to get a leg up in the job arena? You certainly wouldn’t be the only one with this idea: 77 percent of job seekers have already jumped on the app bandwagon. Here are some apps for job seekers looking to take their search on the go.
1. LunchMeet: LunchMeet is more than just a clever name to make you hungry — it’s also a great networking app.
The service connects to your LinkedIn account and uses geo-targeting to find industry-specific contacts who may be open to networking. Just connect through LunchMeet, grab lunch or coffee and discuss your industry or career opportunities.
If you’re looking to expand your business circle, this could be the app for you. It’s also a great way to find a mentor or discover a hidden job lead.
2. Pocket Resume: So you’ve found the perfect job, but you have limited time to tailor your resume and send it off to your potential employer. Pocket Resume is here to help.
The app pulls the most updated information from your LinkedIn profile and enables you to export your resume to PDF or Dropbox. It also lets users tailor resumes for specific positions, by allowing you to reorder your resume on the move, whether from your tablet or smartphone. And at $2.99, it’s certainly a lot cheaper (and faster) than a typical resume writer.
3. Jobs You’ll Love for Android: Wish job boards could read your mind? The Jobs You’ll Love Android app is like Pandora for the job seeker: This app uses your job preferences to help you find the perfect position. Every job viewed by a user can be saved, shared or even disliked. Based on these preferences, the app will recommend other great jobs for you. So the more you use the app, the more it gets to know you — it’s like getting great job advice from a friend you keep in your pocket.
4. JobJuice Social Media Search for iPhone: If you’re not quite sure how to best use social media to find your next great position, JobJuice is here to help. JobJuice Social Media Search for iPhone is a great learning tool for job seekers looking to incorporate social media into the hunt for great opportunities.
The app aims to help job seekers take advantage of social media to build their personal brand, research and target key companies and reach out to hiring managers without breaching online etiquette.
5. SparkHire for iPhone: So you’ve been called back for an interview. Now you can put down those keys and pick up your mobile device. SparkHire, a video resume, interviewing and job board site, has just launched an app version of their video interviewing platform.
Employers can present multiple text-based questions to job seekers who, in turn, respond with short video answers. These video answers can then be viewed by employers anywhere and anytime, which means you can show off your communication skills and personality without taking too much time out of your busy schedule. The app is perfect for passive job seekers who are currently employed, as they can easily interview during normal business hours without going AWOL for hours at a time.
6. Interview Prep Questions for iPhone and Android: Are you freaking out because you have a big interview coming up? Turn on your phone and start practicing with Interview Prep Questions. It can be difficult to foresee those tough questions that pop up in interviews, so you can prepare for a wide variety of potential queries with this handy database. The app offers practice questions and will even suggest answers if you’re stumped. You can then take those answers and personalize them so they fit your unique qualifications and background.
Preparation is the name of the game when it comes to interviewing, and this app helps you prepare on the go.