(Reuters) – World number one Ash Barty has withdrawn from next week’s Dubai Tennis Championships to continue her recovery from a left leg injury, the Australian said on Monday.
The 24-year-old, who also pulled out of this week’s Qatar Open in Doha for the same reason, struggled with a left thigh strain throughout last month’s Australian Open, where she was eliminated in the quarter-finals.
“Unfortunately I have withdrawn from the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships,” Barty said. “I wish the tournament a safe and successful event and hope to play there next year.
“Thank you to the event organisers and the WTA for all the work you are doing, I look forward to competing again in Miami in a few weeks time.”
(Reporting by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru; Editing by Christian Radnedge)