10. Wonder Bar in Allston|Yelp1/10 10. Wonder Bar in Allston|Yelp
9. The Sinclair in Harvard Square|Yelp2/10 9. The Sinclair in Harvard Square|Yelp
8. Brighton Music Hall in Allston|Yelp3/10 8. Brighton Music Hall in Allston|Yelp
7. Bull McCabe's in Union Square|Yelp4/10 7. Bull McCabe's in Union Square|Yelp
6. Paradise Rock Club in Allston|Yelp5/10 6. Paradise Rock Club in Allston|Yelp
5. Thunder Road in Union Square|Yelp6/10 5. Thunder Road in Union Square|Yelp
4. Great Scott in Allston|Yelp7/10 4. Great Scott in Allston|Yelp
3. Middle East Downstairs in Central Square|Yelp8/10 3. Middle East Downstairs in Central Square|Yelp
2. Lizard Lounge in Cambridge|Yelp9/10 2. Lizard Lounge in Cambridge|Yelp
1. Wally's in South Boston|Yelp10/10 1. Wally's in South Boston|Yelp
Going to see a show is all about the experience.
There's nothing like sidling up to the stage to see your favorite local performer. Boston's young vibe and vibrant music have given way to some great music venues. So next time you're sitting home on a Friday night, check the calendar at one of these music halls and head out for a show.
- PHOTOS: 16 Betty White quotes to brighten your day17 Pictures
- PHOTOS: It was a stylish No Pants Subway Ride 2019 in NYC19 Pictures
A dive bar with plush booths, ample bar seating and a big stage. Doesn't get much better than that. You can catch anything from local DJs, to jam bands to gothnight depending on when you wander in.
Located in the heart of Harvard Square, The Sinclair is relatively new to Boston's live music scene, but it's quickly made a name for itself for the great space, sound and music it offers.
This small, standing-room-only venue hosts a variety of funky, groovy and indie acts sure to keep you coming back.
In terms of intimacy, you can't get much closer than you do at Bull McCabe's. Known for late-night local acts, Bull McCabe's is always turning up the volume after dinner service.
This intimate setting offers ample views for the audience with its large dance floor and second-floor balcony. And with four bars, a drink is never too far away.
Thunder Road is new to the city of Somerville, but it's already pulling well-known headliners. Add great sound and great food to that list and we've got ourselves a keeper.
At Great Scott, you'll findlive music andhot dance nights with a sprinkling of the best comedians in the area.
It doesn't get much grittier than downstairs at the Middle East. The low ceilings, loud music and endless list of great performers have made it a landmark for nightlife in Central Square.
With its subterranean location, sensuous red lighting and plush Persian rugs, Lizard Lounge brings a unique intimacy to performances. From open mic nights to Club d'Elfevery other Friday, you could spend every night of your week here. You can even grab a bite while you enjoy the show.
This South Boston jazz club is among the oldest family owned and operated in the city. The list of celebrated musicians who have played here is too long to tell, but be certain — whether you're in the mood for jazz, Latin, blues or jam, Wally's is where it's at.