Brooklyn man dies after catching fire - Metro US

Brooklyn man dies after catching fire

392369 02: Fire Department sweathshirts are up for sale at the "Fire Zone" July 24, 2001 in New York City. The permanent exhibit provides visitors with a mulit-media fire safety education program and is staffed by the New York City Fire Department. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)

A Brooklyn man who caught on fire yesterday in Midwood has died.

Security footage showed the man, later identified as Mohammad Saram, on fire as he ran into the street outside of 910 McDonald Ave. on Tuesday afternoon.

Saram, 22, was transported in critical condition to Maimonides Medical Center, then transferred to a burn unit, where he later died.

Witnesses were able to help extinguish the flames before firefighters and paramedics arrived. It is believed Saram was drying tobacco to smoke in a hookah.

The FDNY said Tuesday the fire marshal has not yet determined the cause of the fire, nor an unidentified substance found at the scene.

More from our Sister Sites