Candle sparks Jamaica Plain fire – Metro US

Candle sparks Jamaica Plain fire

Candle sparks Jamaica Plain fire
Boston Fire Dept.

An unattended candle was to blame for a three-alarm fire in Jamaica Plain on Saturday night that forced the evacuation of a 15-unit apartment building at 560 Centre St., fire officials said.

Although smoke quickly filled the building, the blaze — which began just after 10 p.m. — was contained to a single apartment on the first floor, according to Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald, who said damage had been estimated at about $50,000.

RELATED: Fire rages through Dorchester triple-decker

The apartment’s three residents remain displaced but others in the building returned to their homes Saturday night, MacDonald said. One person was evaluated for minor injuries, he said.

More from our Sister Sites