Quantcast
David Ortiz clarifies contract demands - Metro US

David Ortiz clarifies contract demands

Red Sox star David Ortiz is entering the final year of his two-year, $30 million contract.
Credit: Metro

David Ortiz made headlines earlier this week when he said that if he didn’t receive a contract extension from the Red Sox, it might be “time to move on.” Wednesday, “Big Papi” set the record straight.

In a podcast for WEEI radio, Ortiz said he was only referring to a hypothetical situation in which the Red Sox would not be interested in retaining him.

Ortiz explained his situation with the club: “It’s not a secret from no one that I want to be part of [the Red Sox]. This is where I want to play. But it’s a business.”

David Ortiz, at 38 years old, is entering the final year of a two-year, $30 million contract he signed in 2012 and stated that he would appreciate it if he didn’t have to worry about his contract situation during the season.

“[Contract talk] distracts me, it’s something that gets me thinking, and all I want to do through the season is just make sure I get the job done, make sure that I do what I do best without having to worry about anything else.”

Ortiz specified in the podcast that he is only seeking a one-year extension, and that talks with the Red Sox have been positive. “Everything is going well. We had a great conversation. They are happy about what we talked about.”

More from our Sister Sites