Dog saved from house fire - Metro US

Dog saved from house fire

A family dog was rescued from an afternoon house fire in Hammonds Plains yesterday.

Passersby noticed smoke coming out of a home on Rockcrest Drive at about 3 p.m. and called 911. An off-duty RCMP officer who lives in the area ran to the home and tried to get inside.

“He was trying to get into the residence to make sure nobody was in there. He knew there was a pet in there, so he was trying to get the pet, but the flames were beating him back,” said RCMP spokesman Cpl. Joe Taplin.

Firefighters arrived and found flames coming from the kitchen. No people were home and the dog was rescued. The homeowner arrived shortly after and the dog was taken to a veterinarian for treatment.

Fire officials say they were quickly able to extinguish the flames. They weren’t yet able to say how much damage was caused.

More from our Sister Sites