With less than one month until Christmas, the holiday season is in full swing. Having said that, we all know how stressful this time of the year can be, but there are ways to prepare.
Each week, we’ll provide you with a great make-ahead recipe that you can make and share as a hostess gift or serve up as an entertaining idea for your holiday get-together.
Chili Spiced Nuts
These nuts are perfect to serve up in a little bowl for fingers to dip into while enjoying drinks.
You can also pack them up in little gift bags or tins for an easy hostess gift. Lastly, the Chili Spiced
The nuts will keep at room temperature for about three weeks in a tin or bag.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whole unblanched almonds
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) walnut halves
- 1 cup (250 mL) shelled pistachios
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin or canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) roasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- In large bowl, toss almonds, walnut halves and pistachios with oil, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper until well coated.
- Spread onto parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast in 350 F (180 C) oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Remove from oven and stir in pepitas. Let cool completely in baking sheet on cooling rack.
• Emily Richards is a professional home economist, cookbook author and a tv celebrity chef. For more, visit emilyrichardscooks.ca.