Being involved in an auto accident can be extremely stressful, but filing a claim shouldn’t be. Knowing what to do immediately following an accident can make filing the claim much easier and prevent any confusion. Below are some key items RBC Insurance reminds you to be aware of in the event they are in an accident.
• Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than the police and do not accept responsibility.
• Immediately obtain information from all car owners/drivers involved including their full names, addresses, phone numbers, plate and driver’s licence numbers, auto policy number and issuing company. Remember to always keep a pen and pad in your vehicle.
• Get complete contact information of any witnesses, especially if they were not involved in the accident.
• Write down details such as the time, date and location of the accident, as well as road conditions.
• Sketch the positions and directions of all vehicles involved, if possible.
• If possible, call your auto insurance company right away.
• Do not accept offers from random tow truck drivers until you have contacted your insurance company.