Quantcast
Italy's next stimulus package worth at least 50 billion euros: Conte - Metro US

Italy’s next stimulus package worth at least 50 billion euros: Conte

FILE PHOTO: Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte speaks to media as he announces a decree that will close cinemas, schools in order to contain the coronavirus, in Rome

ROME (Reuters) – The Italian government is working on a new stimulus package worth at least 50 billion euros ($54.2 billion) to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus crisis, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said on Tuesday.

The measures will be unveiled before the end of the month, Conte told the upper house Senate.

The ruling coalition approved last month an initial 25 billion euro package to help the economy cope with the outbreak, which has killed 24,114 people in Italy as of Monday, the second highest death toll in the world after that of the United States.

(Reporting by Crispian Balmer, editing by Gavin Jones)

More from our Sister Sites