If there’s a recession going on, it hasn’t had a hugely negative effect on the sales of lush properties in the Hamptons.
“This has been the busiest winter in 10 years,” said Judi Desiderio, president of Town & Country Real Estate in East Hampton.
Real estate tycoon Richard Parkoff, who owns a New York City apartment building, just plunked down a cool $25.5 million for a 10,000-square-foot house on Lily Pond Lane in East Hampton that doesn’t even have a water view.
Joanne D. Brown topped the list of the highest property sales made in Long Island last year. The ex-wife of former New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine sold a 6.5 acre Sagaponack property for a whopping $43.5 million to an undisclosed buyer.
The fact that seven out of the top 10 Hampton property sales occurred during the second half of 2010 could suggest that the worst of the housing crisis is over, and Long Island real estate is on an upswing.
According to the multiple listing service of Long Island, the median price for the sale of a Suffolk County home in 2010 was $376,749, and the average for a Nassau County residential property was $409,375 — a 2.3 percent increase from 2009.
“For the median price in Nassau County you can get a three-, four-bedroom house, with two baths on a 80-by-100-foot lot,” Anthony Podias, a real estate broker for Long Island Dream Homes and Realty in Garden City, told Metro.
“Things are really picking up,” he added. “There’s a lot of good deals out there for buyers with a cash-down payment.”
The top 10 most expensive 2010 Hamptons property sales
1. 239 Gibson Lane – Sagaponack, $43,500,000
2. 86 Lily Pond Lane – East Hampton, $25,500,000
3. 2 Tyson Lane – East Hampton, $22,875,000
4. 12 Tyson Lane – East Hampton, $19,256,000
5. 229 Quimbly Lane – Bridgehampton, $16,200,000
6. 500 Ox Pasture Road – Southampton, $16,000,000
7. 55 Dune Road – Bridgehampton, $14,250,000
8.129 Halsey Neck Lane – Southampton, $14,208,000
9. 102 Lily Pond Lane – East Hampton, $14,000,000
10. 16 Association Road – Wainscott, $13,750,000
–List provided by Town & County Real Estate in East Hampton