• 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
• 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
• 2 large celery stalks, chopped
• 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 lbs (1 kg) lean ground beef
• 1 cup (250 ml) fresh breadcrumbs (white or whole wheat)
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup (250 ml) canned chopped tomatoes
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan, add onions, celery, pepper and garlic and cook 5 minutes over moderate heat (until soft). Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
2. Add beef, breadcrumbs and egg to vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and knead until well combined.
3. Put tomatoes and tomato sauce into small bowl. Mix well. Add half to meat loaf mixture. Mix again.
4. Transfer meat loaf mixture to lightly-greased baking dish or roasting pan and shape to make loaf, measuring about 7 x 10 in. (18 x 25 cm), mounding slightly at centre. Use side of hand to make groove down length of meat loaf. Pour remaining tomato mixture into groove.
5. Bake for 1-1/4 hours, or until cooked through to centre. (If you have a meat thermometer, it should read 160 F/71 C when loaf is done.) Let stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca