Enjoying curries can add some spice to your life and keeping curry powder or Thai curry paste in your pantry will help give big flavour to your quick dinner ideas.
Use fresh curry powder for the best flavour and be sure to store it away from heat sources and go the bulk stores or health food stores or spice markets where you can purchase a small amount if you haven’t used it before. Try a little and see what you think. You can purchase Thai curry paste in grocery stores in jars or envelopes. Once it is opened, store it in the refrigerator. It has a long shelf life, but be sure to check the best before dates on the jar. Once you get a taste of both these flavourful curries, you will want to kick up the flavour in the kitchen more often.
Mild Curry Coconut Soup
By combining fresh vegetables with trendy must-have ingredients in your pantry, this divine five-ingredient Thai soup will win raves from all who sample it and make a quick weeknight meal. Curry powder is a great pantry staple to add a subtle flavour to this soup and many other weeknight meals.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) light coconut milk
- 2 cans (85 g each) spicy Thai chili flaked light tuna
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1. In saucepan, stir together coconut milk, tuna and curry powder over medium heat. Add carrot and three-quarters of the red pepper and bring to boil.
2. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with remaining chopped red pepper. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional information per serving: 180 calories, 9 g protein, 10 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 13 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 25 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium.