There were a lot of stories that competed for the public's attention in 2016, from the election to unforgettable tragedies and what seemed like a new viral video every second. Here is what caught our online readers' attention this year.
Unsurprisingly, several of the stories centered around the election, but many of our top trending articles also included local crime and sports, '90s nostalgia and a viral sensation.
- Climb the 'Guts' Aggro Crag in SoHo — for free!
- Clinton super PAC offered Vermont newspaper 'off the record' anti-Sanders 'tips'
- What is ‘Damn, Daniel,' the viral meme of the week
- Philadelphia fugitive Jamik Washington arrested after eight-hour Jersey Shore standoff
- When Nerlens Noel, Ben Simmons return the Sixers will be huge
- Michael Shannon: Don't talk to your Trump-voting relatives
- There's a petition to make Clinton president – and it might work
- Two arrested in Archbishop Ryan HS shooting
- Film follows life of Queens woman who travels every day to watch a play
- 'No to Trump,' #GOPHandsOffMe, prayers and vigils planned across New York