A hoverboard — widely considered the 'hottest' gift of the 2015 Christmas season|Getty Images1/3
A hoverboard — widely considered the 'hottest' gift of the 2015 Christmas season|Getty Images
The wreckage of the burnt-out hoverboard from Ocean County.|Provided2/3 The wreckage of the burnt-out hoverboard from Ocean County.|Provided
Burn marks on the carpet of the home where the hoverboard ignited.|Provided3/3 Burn marks on the carpet of the home where the hoverboard ignited.|Provided
It's this Christmas season's hottest gift — literally.
A hoverboard toy ignited Sundayin an Ocean County home in New Jersey while it was charging, causing a blaze that left part of a room scorched.
Firefighters fromLanoka Harbor, New Jersey in Ocean County posted pictures of the fire on their Facebook page Sunday night.
- 7 things to know about Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray 10 Pictures
- Celebrity deaths 2018: All the stars we lost too soon 47 Pictures
"Be careful when charging up Hoverboards," the fire department posted on their Facebook page. "We responded to call today due to a hoverboard catching fire. Do not leave them unattended. Monitor them while charging... Register them for warranties andcheck for manufacturer recalls."
The family the hoverboard belonged to was at home when the fire ignited, the fire department said.It burned a hole right through the carpet.
The fire is under investigation by the Ocean County Fire Marshall's office.