A propane leak forced the evacuation of the Sackville Sports Stadium Monday.
Just before noon fire crews were called to the scene regarding a possible leak, said fire spokesman Capt. Dave Meldrum.
“On arrival, firefighters found propane leaking from the piping of an outdoor propane storage cylinder,” he said.
The 2,500-gallon tank was three-quarters full.
“So there was a plume of propane vapour coming off of it.”
Firefighters used water to dilute the propane plumes while the stadium was evacuated.
Meldrum said it’s hard to say how many people were inside at the time, but there were a number of employees, patrons and kids in the day care.
“Those children headed over to Sackville High School,” Meldrum said. “Some employees went to the upper parking lot with a bus up there and the RCMP to take care of them.”
Firefighters patrolled the area with hand-held flammable gas monitors to make sure no vapours were sneaking off.
“There was no need to evacuate Sackville high as it was quite safe and clear of flammable vapours,” Meldrum said.
Irving sent two technicians to right the leaky valve and by 2 p.m. it was fixed.