The province’s decision on the proposed new trade centre for downtown Halifax may take a little longer than originally hoped.
Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal Minster Bill Estabrooks told reporters Thursday that while he still hopes to reach a decision by the end of the month, there’s a possibility it may take longer.
“Whether we’re able as a cabinet and as a government to meet that deadline or not is yet to be determined,” said Estabrooks.
Estabrooks said he and his cabinet colleagues will continue to gather public input. But he said it would be premature to release developer Rank Inc.’s proposal at this time.
“As I’ve said all along, I’d like to get as much information out to the public as possible,” said Estabrooks.
Estabrooks wasn’t sure whether the proposal, as well as the province’s shadow bid, would be released to the public before the government reaches a decision.
Neither Estabrooks nor Premier Darrell Dexter would comment on how much the developer is asking for from the province. Mayor Peter Kelly had previously estimated the cost to be between $30 million and $50 million for each level of government.