Remaining MTA repairs to take weeks, months - Metro US

Remaining MTA repairs to take weeks, months

The MTA is still grappling with storm damage one month after Hurricane Sandy, as the effects of track-to-ceiling saltwater flooding caused significant signal and station damage in tunnels and stations. Here is a round up of the work that remains to be done:

1 train, South Ferry station

This was the site of the infamous video and photos showing the entire station filled with water from floor to ceiling. Although all of that water has been pumped out, the MTA says it will still take several weeks to assess the damage and several months before the station will be back in service.

R train, Brooklyn to 34th Street

The Montague tube between Brooklyn and Manhattan sustained the most damage from the storm, soaked from the tracks to the ceilings in saltwater. The salt played a role in significant damage to the electrical systems, and the switch, signal and relay repairs needed are complicated. Still, the MTA has a two-step plan to restore full service within the next seven to 14 days, beginning first with a segment from Rector Street to 34th Street and then extending through the tube to Brooklyn.

J/Z, south of Chambers Street

The Montague tube is also the culprit here. The tube splits off into two segments: the one used by the R line, which leads to Whitehall and Rector Street, and a second tunnel that goes up to Wall Street. Some straphangers may remember that the old M line, before it adopted the uptown and eastbound path of the now extinct V line, used to run from Williamsburg into downtown Manhattan and eventually into downtown Brooklyn. It used that second tunnel. During the storm, that now-unused tunnel allowed flood waters to rush into the Broad Street and Fulton Street J/Z paths, causing significant signal issues that still remain a month after the storm, though the situation is projected to be resolved in the next seven to 14 days, according to MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz.

The Rockaways A train and shuttle

The storm-battered Rockaways took some of the worst abuse in the storm: extensive damage along Broad Channel knocked out the tracks and bridges that connect to Queens. The MTA anticipates it will be several months before normal service will resume, as they are still assessing the damage.

The H train

In the meantime, the MTA has restored an old line, the H train shuttle that was in service until the early 1990s, before it became known as the S. Before the storm, the S ran from Broad Channel to Rockaway Park. The H shuttle runs along the stretch that is still intact, skipping Rockaway Park but traveling between Far Rockaway and Beach 90th Street. Passengers can get into the city via a shuttle bus from Far Rockaway to Howard Beach, where the A train is running.

More from our Sister Sites