Chargers running back Melvin Gordon will not report to training camp in suburban Los Angeles on Wednesday and will hold out for a new contract as planned.
According to reports, the two sides are not close to a deal. Gordon said last week he was seeking a fair deal and knows his value.
The Chargers will stop contract talks, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport said on Wednesday, and Gordon will be subject to a $40,000 fine for every day he misses camp.
Gordon’s agent, Fletcher Smith, said two weeks ago that Gordon would not report to training camp without a new contract. Smith also said that a failure to reach an agreement would result in a trade demand.
The Chargers were 4-0 in games Gordon did not play last season due to injury.
Gordon signed a four-year, $10.67 million deal as a first-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, and in April, the Chargers exercised their fifth-year option for $5.61 million for 2019. Gordon is seeking a long-term contract with guarantees.
The 26-year-old has scored 38 touchdowns over the past three seasons. In 55 career games, the two-time Pro Bowl selection has gained 5,205 yards from scrimmage.
Gordon did not attend offseason voluntary workouts with the Chargers but did report to minicamp in June.
–Field Level Media