Sharing benefits - Metro US

Sharing benefits

Q. My ex-husband and I have shared custody of our children. We agreed that I would receive the GST and Child Tax Benefit. Will I receive less money next year?
— Jackie, Newmarket

A. Starting July 2011, pay­ments such as GST, Child Tax Benefit and Universal Child Care Benefit will be affected by new legislation. Both parents would qualify to receive payments on a six-month rotational basis. Canada Revenue Agency’s position is that both parents who share custody and responsibility for a child should also share the benefits.

A shared-custody parent who wishes to receive benefits must complete form RC66 with a letter detailing the custody arrangements.

– Henry Choo Chong, CGA, can be reached at choochonghcga@yahoo.ca and 416-485-5225.

More from our Sister Sites