• 2 6 1/3 oz (180 g) tuna steaks
• 2 tsp (20 ml) olive oil
• freshly ground black pepper
• 100 ml vegetable stock
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) orange juice
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) red wine vinegar
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) dry sherry
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
• 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
• 1-in. (2.5-cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) brown sugar
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) corn starch, mixed with 1 1/2 tbsp (20 ml) water
• 1 1/2 tbsp (20 ml) canola oil
• 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
• 2 red peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
• 20 snow peas, halved
• fresh coriander leaves
1. Brush both sides of tuna steaks with olive oil, then sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Put steaks on plate and set aside while you prepare sauce and vegetables.
2. For sweet and sour sauce, pour vegetable stock, orange juice, red wine vinegar, sherry and soy sauce into small pot, then add tomato paste, garlic, ginger and sugar and stir to mix. Slowly bring liquid to boil, stirring often until sugar has dissolved, then simmer 2–3 minutes.
3. Stir corn starch paste into hot sauce and keep stirring continuously over low heat until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
4. Heat cast-iron grill pan or non-stick frying pan over a moderately high heat. Add tuna steaks and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until just tender.
5. Meanwhile, heat canola oil in wok or large frying pan over moderate heat. Add carrots and stir-fry 30 seconds, then add peppers. Cook 1 minute, then toss in snow peas. Continue stir-frying 1-2 minutes, or until all vegetables are cooked but crunchy.
6. Pour in sweet and sour sauce, bring liquid to boil and toss everything together until vegetables are coated.
7. Use fork to flake the tuna into large, bite-sized pieces. Add tuna pieces to wok and toss all ingredients thoroughly. Serve while hot. If you like, garnish with some fresh coriander leaves.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca