Next week, kids head back to school making this weekend the unofficial end of summer. To help celebrate the season’s end, we asked Made To Be A Momma editor in chief and“Kids’ Treats” author Katie Wyllie for two cute, yummy recipes your kids will love. The two featured here are both from her new book along with many, many more treat recipes. The best part? They’re so easy that you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy the last lazy days with your fam.
Related: The best back-to-school looks
1/2 cup red chocolate candy melts
2 red Pull ‘n’ Peel Twizzlers
6 Oreo cookies
12 candy eyes
Red sprinkles, optional
1/4 cup yellow candy melts, optional
1. Melt your red candy melts in a candy melting electric pot according to the package instructions, or in the microwave at 30-second increments.
2. Pill one Pull ‘n’ Peel string from your Twizzler and cut it into six small pieces to use for legs.
3. Place three of the small leg pieces about 1/4 inch away from each other in parallel lines on a Silpat or wax-paper lined cookie sheet. Repeat the same step with the remaining three leg pieces about 1 inch from thr other set of legs.
4. Pull three “Pull ‘n’ Peel” strings from your Twizzlers. Cut two diagonal lines toward the middle od these three Twizzlers to create a claw shape. Remove the remaining two strings.
Beachy Creamsicle Cupcakes
Makes 16 cupcakes
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons orange gelatin powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) can Crush orange soda
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Creamsicle Cream Cheese Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons orange gelatin powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, orange gelatin powder and salt.
2. In a seperate bowl, cream together butter, sugar and eggs. Slowly add orange soda, milk and orange and vanilla extracts. Mix until fully incorporated.
3. Pour mixture into paper-lined muffin linfs 3/4 full.
4. Back for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
5. Whisk together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and orange gelatin powder.
6. Place icing in a cake-decorating bag with a #1M tip and pipe iciing on cupcakes.
7. Top with little umbrellas that you can find at your loca lcraft store, if desired.
Follow Emily on Twitter: @EmLaurence